When Thoughts Turn to Florals...
Having been teased (and let’s face it shocked!) by the amazingly hot Easter weekend, our thoughts turn to our summer wardrobe. Florals are a natural go-to for summer and this season they are everywhere.
So, take your lead from some of fashion’s most stylish influencers and pack away your blacks and welcome the summer with some colour.We may traditionally associate florals with summer garden parties, regattas and festivals but they really are a versatile addition to any wardrobe, so here are my top tips:
- Choose a pattern which matches your frame size - too small can make you look bigger, too big can overwhelm you.
- If overall floral is too much for you, add interest with a floral top or trousers.
- Use accessories so your outfit works for different occasions. Trainers are a new and interesting look which immediately gives a more casual look. If that’s “one step too far” for you how about simple white sneakers, a flat pump or a summer slider? (Florals even work well in winter with all kinds of boots so you can extend your wear!) For evenings add heels and for weddings and more formal events add a hat.
- Wear your florals with existing jackets and cardigans you already have in your wardrobe. Try to pick out a colour from the pattern and highlight it. Coloured clothes cardigans are another, less formal alternative.
- Wear a jumper over a floral dress and it becomes a skirt.
- Use your florals to add interest by layering over denims or white or coloured jeans.
- Floral playsuits and shorter, floaty dresses are ideal beach cover ups.
- Change your look adding or changing a belt - metallics are great for evenings.
About Maggie McMillan
Maggie is Founder of The Style Counsel Personal Branding, Impact and Wardrobe Consultancy. She’s a dedicated & passionate fashionista whose clients range from pop stars to politicians, CEOs to sixth formers, grannies to godchildren - and everyone in between.
Maggie is renowned for her realistic and practical approach and passionate about helping her clients achieve a go-to wardrobe which works for both their lifestyle and budget. Maggie has already presented some hugely successful Style Evenings in our Henley store and more are planned. Register your interest in store.
FOLLOW MAGGIE ON INSTAGRAM @maggie_r_mcmillan for really useful daily style tips and inspiration or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for details of her 1:1 consultations and group workshops.